In October 2016, I visited my family doctor for a routine check-up for an autoimmune condition I had previously been diagnosed with. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune illness affecting your thyroid gland. My thyroid health was checked with a yearly scan.

During my routine check-up, I spoke to my doctor about a lump in my left breast that I had found a few days prior. She advised me to go to a nearby physician for a breast biopsy.

After the breast biopsy I received a message to see the doctor. When I arrived, the doctor came out to welcome me to the waiting area. That's how I knew the outcome was horrible. She informed me that I had ductal carcinoma in its early stages.

breast cancer doctor in kolkata

 

I was completely taken aback. I felt like I was in a fog for the next two weeks.

I went to see a breast cancer doctor in Kolkata who had been recommended to me by my best friend. The treatment plan that was provided to me caught me off guard. After a few tests, the doctor recommended that I get a mastectomy. I was torn because I thought I had detected this disease early, yet the advice I was given seemed so drastic. I wasn't expecting what I heard, leaving me even more unhappy and perplexed.

My path is being navigated

My surgeon gave me a lot of information. I was sad at first, but he was extremely nice to me. He listened to and answered all of my questions. This gave me a lot of mental fortitude.

He also carefully described the surgical procedure and was extremely nice to me throughout the operation. 

My breast cancer surgeon addressed my emotional health as well as my physical health during my initial examination. I had a very serious dread of cancer treatments, and he helped me overcome that worry by discussing the happy outcome of the procedure.

I encountered various side-effects after the surgery, such as weariness and nausea, but I overcame it with time.

Survivorship

When I started cancer therapy and went through breast cancer surgery, I just had one aim in mind: to live!

I am grateful to God for the friends and relatives who have come to my aid. I couldn't have gotten through my cancer struggle without them.

Going through cancer, treatment, and everything else that comes with it alters your life. Not knowing whether you will survive or die alters your outlook on things. I don't let minor inconveniences bother me anymore, and I enjoy my life so much more than I used to.

I'm 51 now, and scans indicate no signs of cancer. I'm not sure what's in store for me. What I do know is that it will be novel, entertaining, and exciting. I prefer to focus on the good aspects of my life because I am grateful to be a cancer survivor. I will always stay thankful to my breast cancer surgeon for giving me another chance in life.